Thursday, April 12, 2018

Mon-El Costume Change!


Some pictures have been leaked of Supergirl episode 314 and in it Mon-El is in a much more familiar costume and this Legion fan is pretty thrilled. Here is a link:
https://www.cbr.com/supergirl-monel-comics-accurate-costume/

One of the things that strikes me is that I am honestly in a golden age of my fandom. If you asked me what are the two properties that have spanned my lifelong love of comics it would be Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes. Heck, I run a fan site for one and contribute to a fan site for the other!

And now I live in a time where Supergirl and the Legion are right there on screen.

While I didn't mind the black Legion stealth costumes that the members have sported on this show, this comic accurate costume is fantastic. Just embrace it. And I like the subtle S-Shield pentagon sewn into the shirt. Awesome.



I mean, this is Mon-El's costume. Sure, it is a clasp and not the big round buttons. And yes it isn't that shirt style with the belt. But all is well. Perfect is the enemy of the very good.

I have a true Mon-El on television. I can only hope that Saturn Girl and Brainiac 5 get similar upgrades.

And just a reminder that the first time we saw a Legion ring on the CW was on the Flash 2 years ago, on 2/9/16!  We saw a glimpse of it as Barry went through the breach. And then we saw it on Supergirl in Superman's Fortress.

This has been a long play and so far so good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way better costume than his black uniform. I wonder whether there was a plot reason for him not wearing it right away. Or maybe it was just the writers building anticipation? Saturn Girl and Brainiac will also wear classic, comic-inspired costumes?

"I mean, this is Mon-El's costume. Sure, it is a clasp and not the big round buttons. And yes it isn't that shirt style with the belt. But all is well."

It's clearly the color-inversed Superman's costume... which is, of course, comic-accurate.

"One of the things that strikes me is that I am honestly in a golden age of my fandom. If you asked me what are the two properties that have spanned my lifelong love of comics it would be Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes."

Mainstream exposure is welcome and awesome for the characters, but I don't think I'd call the current era a golden one given Supergirl's book cancellation and Legion being missing. Then again, I didn't endure the long, Dark "No Kryptonians allowed" Age of Infinite Reboots because I wasn't reading DC books back then, so I guess that given your greater experience, no ongoing books is trivial compared with half dozen of continuity/character reboots.

By the way, Anj, have you heard about the Episode 3x21 title? Just in case I won't spoil it, but I wonder if Miss Danvers is about to go time/space travelling...

Anonymous said...

Finally, FINALLY after a long drought, Supergirl returns to the screen! And yes, the tease of Mon-El in his classic costume.
Personally, I'm hoping his powerset will be better explained with the return. I'm still not clear how much is "exposure to Earth's
sun" and how much is from the "Legion Flight Ring." I will admit from the pre-hiatus eps seeing Mon-El use flying and superstrength
was alot of fun and inline with comics-established "powerset of Daxamites."

Counting down to Monday! See everyone there!


Regards

Anonymous said...

Does this mean Imra is gonna dye her hair platinum blonde?

:)

JF

KET said...

BTW, the preview pics on CBR are from episode 3.15 "In Search of Lost Time". Mon-El still wears black next week.

KET

Anonymous said...

Apropos of nothing, but it did my heart all kinds of good to see Kevin Smith & Jason Mewes quite blatantly cutting capers on "The Flash" this week. I hope they get a chance to do likewise and the same on "Supergirl"...and I do hope Kevin Smith is feeling better soonest (gotta lay off that take out chinese food dude)....

JF