Monday, June 20, 2016

Superman Cast!


Well that didn't take long!

A few days after announcing that Superman would appear on the first two episodes of season two of Supergirl, the CW announced they had found their man: Teen Wolf's Tyler Hoechlin. There is plenty of coverage out there. Here is the Entertainment Weekly article: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/16/supergirl-tyler-hoechlin-superman

And the pertinent blurb:
“Greg [Berlanti] and I have wanted to work with Tyler for ages, so this worked out perfectly because Tyler is Superman,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg says. “We are so thrilled and humbled to add another amazing actor to the legacy of this iconic character.” 

So, I'll be honest. I don't know this guy. That doesn't worry me at all. I hadn't heard of Grant Gustin or Melissa Benoist either. I trust the casting people on these shows.

Hoechlin certainly looks the part of Superman. And I have heard that Teen Wolf was a good show.

But he seems awful young for the show.

In my head, Superman should be in his late 30's on the show. Kara lands when she's around 12. He is already established as Superman. She is now 24. He should be around 36 to 38. I know somewhere along the way I did the math more elegantly. But this guy looks like he is the same age as Kara. And that seems off. Superman should be older than Jimmy, by far. This actor is younger than Mehcad Brooks.

Now I know people will tell me that there are plenty of comics that show Superman as near immortal, that Kryptonians age slowly in a yellow sun environment. But I don't think we need that here.

Who knows, maybe this guy is in the pod? Maybe this is a Superman from elsewhere? Or elsewhen? I doubt that too.

So while I have trust in the folks who run the show, I am a bit worried about this. I guess we'll need to see how it all plays out.

4 comments:

Martin Gray said...

Yes indeed, goodlooking chap, don't know him, he'll likely be good for what's wanted by the producers, but is what's wanted by the producers what makes sense for the show?

Still, I remain optimistic. The show hasn't let us down yet.

Anonymous said...

And anyway it isn't Superman's Show, it belongs to Supergirl.....I have a vested interest in Kal El being honorably depicted on TV (especially given the confused and downbeat character we are getting in the movies)...but past a certain point Supes is simply a gaudy barnacle on the SuperGIRL mythos...

:)

Take THAT Marv Wolfman....

JF

Anonymous said...

Can only see how this plays out. Tyler H certainly LOOKS the part, the question is how he actually
will be onscreen with the cape and S, and with Melissa B. 2nd the previous commentors -- the show
hasn't let us down yet, but on the other, this is SUPERGIRL'S show.

> Take THAT Marv Wolfman....

If I could, I'd LIKE that comment a billion times! :D


Regards

Anonymous said...

On the other hand I don't want Superman's miniscule fanbase to get their hopes up and start wishing for a spin off series, Kal El simply isn't that popular.....

:)

JF