Friday, March 9, 2012

Even More News About Super BFFs


Seems like a lot of news has been coming out regarding the DC Nation block on Cartoon Network and th Super Best Friends Forever short as well. Over on USA Today, there are a couple of clips about the block as well as an article focusing on Lauren Faust and the SBFF short. Here is the link.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2012-03-01/DC-Nation-superhero-cartoons/53335116/1

And if you peek carefully in the background, you'll get a sneak peek at the villains and some supporting cast members.


Looks like Commissioner Gordon, Solomon Grundy, and some Poison Ivy.


 And, if you squint, you'll see the design of the Cheetah amongst the pixels.

As for the article, Faust divulges a bit about the cartoon.

At least one "big important superhero" will be stopping by Super Best Friends Forever amid the girls' shenanigans — expect joyriding in Wonder Woman's invisible jet in one episode — and there will also be supervillains, too, including Cheetah, Poison Ivy and the monstrous Solomon Grundy. "I took a little bit of a funnier take on him and made him a little bit silly," Faust says.

So I wonder who the 'important superhero' is going to be. Given that Superman's fame is something which is irritating Supergirl in these shorts, I wouldn't be surprised if it was him. But I would rather it be Wonder Woman, someone who is most likely these girls' role model.

And then this ...

Her favorite of the main three so far? Supergirl.

"I don't know what it is, but I have a lot of fun writing really angry girls," Faust says, laughing. "I don't consider myself a particularly angry person. Maybe it's tapping into my memories of teenage angst and getting to channel that stuff through her."

I am thrilled that Supergirl is Faust's favorite. I expect Supergirl to shine here. And it is great that Supergirl will be introduced to a whole new audience who will seek out Faust's work.

Now I know I have written much over the course of these last few years about how I don't want an always angry Supergirl in comics. But that is because the comics are meant to be serious. Since it is said clearly that this is supposed to be a comedy, I think this will be a wonderful take on Kara.

3 comments:

Gear said...

Like you said ANJ: It's a comedy. Being a comedy, and with each segment so short, there isn't a lot of time so we'll get broad emotion and characterizations that make for humor.

So I think we're all happy we're getting a Supergirl, and I'm looking forward to having some fun with it.

Gene said...

I read that MAD TV alum Nicole Sullivan will be voicing Supergirl, so that will be interesting to hear.

SBFF won't be on this week, but I found the news page at The World's Finest Online to be an excellent place to find out about upcoming animated shows:

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/main.php

Gene

Anj said...

Thanks for the tip Gene.

And you are right Gear ... this should be fun!